Are you sure you want to be a teacher?

People have been asking us what we want to be practically since we could talk. When you're little everyone lets you believe you can be whatever you want, no matter how ridiculous it may be. But as we get older reality sets in. People now have opinions about what we should or shouldn't do. They have ideas about what I would be good at or even not good at. And the worst part is they think they know best and we are foolish to disregard what they say.

From what I can remember, I've always wanted to be a teacher. I think a lot of little kids want to be teachers at some point or another because of all the awesome teachers out there. I had some special teachers in my life growing up (that's you mom, dad, and nana). Of course they taught me everything, but they were also actually teachers.  I loved going to their schools and trying to help them as much as I could, even if that meant washing the chalk boards.

When I was younger everyone thought it was cute that I wanted to be a teacher. However, the older I got it wasn't as cute anymore. Slowly more and more people would say to me, "You don't want to be a teacher, the education system sucks." "Are you sure you really wanna be a teacher?" "You're so smart, you can do something better than teaching." I loved school and my teachers and I really did think I wanted to be a teacher until I got to high school.

By the time I was in tenth grade the future wasn't so far away anymore, it was right around the corner. With all the talk of college and careers, I was feeling pressured to make decisions about my future when I had no idea what I actually wanted. My chemistry teacher, Mrs. Swann, was the best and she made me fall in love with chemistry. She made the class so fun and I understood everything so easily. At this point, I decided something in the science field was what I should do.

Fast forward five years and I was graduating from college with a degree in chemistry with a concentration in biochemistry. At the time, the intention was to take a break for a year then go to pharmacy school. Pharmacy was a career where I could use my knowledge and still help people. In the mean time I was trying to get a job where I could work in a lab or something along those lines. I applied for over 60 jobs and got absolutely nothing, not even one single interview. The interview I did get was for a pharmacy technician.

Being a pharmacy technician was not the ideal job, but at this point I had no other options. It would be okay because I would learn some stuff about the field and have a little experience going into pharmacy school. At first, I hated it because I didn't know how to do literally anything and it was super stressful. Once I learned how to do what I needed to do, I realized I still hated it. So I started looking for other jobs.

I applied for some teaching jobs because I thought hey, maybe a school will need someone last minute and I know the stuff and have experience with kids. Much to my surprise, I actually got a teaching interview. When I went to the interview the first thing they asked me was, "Are you certified?' Of course I wasn't so I said no and they proceeded to say they couldn't hire me.

That same day I got a call from my current boss asking me to come in for an interview. I was still pretty upset when I answered the phone and I remember saying something along the lines of, "Thanks for calling me but I was told I couldn't teach because I'm not certified so you probably need to find someone else." He was adamant about having me come interview so much to my dismay I went to the interview. He had an instructional assistant position for 7th and 8th grade math. I got the job.

When I first started the year I was more confused than ever. I really had no idea what I was going to do with my life. You're probably thinking you're so young, it's okay. And you're right, it was and still is okay but I am a worrier. I can't help but worry about things, even when I know I have no control or it's something I shouldn't be worried about. I was worried about what my career would look like now. I could still try and go to pharmacy school but I would start my career so late. I could try and be a teacher but I was still discouraged from everything said to me in the past.

By December, I decided that teaching is what I really wanted to do and I started applying for grad schools. As people started asking me what I was going to be doing next year, I told them that I was going back to school to be a teacher. I was expecting the same, negative reaction, but this time things were different. Everyone was so supportive. I was amazed at how many people thought I would make a good teacher. It made me feel very encouraged and excited to pursue teaching as a career.

So yes, I am sure I want to be a teacher. I get that it is not always the most fabulous job. I get that the pay isn't great and that the school systems have a lot of silly rules. I get that sometimes it just plain sucks. But I want to be a teacher, anyways. I want be in a classroom teaching kids about how cool science can be. I want to be in a classroom where kids can teach me as much, if not more than I teach them. I want to be a teacher.

Honestly,
H

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

22 Things I've Learned by 22

I'm sorry, I can't.

Let's Do This Thing